A Glish/TK DCR Data Analysis Gui
A set of glish scripts are described that may be used for quick
look at DCR data acquired by the GBT scan coordinator. A TK gui
interface is provided to simplify operation.
This only needs to be done once as they copy necessary unix and glish
scripts into your local area.
- Log onto a local Unix or Linux workstation.
- Make a directory for data analysis in your area, and cd
- Enter the following:
- cp ~rnorrod/DataAnalysis/dcrAnalysis/*.g .
- cp ~rnorrod/DataAnalysis/dcrAnalysis/dcrAnalysis .
Starting the program
- Log onto a local Unix or Linux workstation, and cd to your
- Enter the command: dcrAnalysis
After several seconds (about 30), four windows will appear:
- The Log Messages window may be dismissed as it
is not needed.
- The GBT Filler Interface window is used to
retrieve data from the GBT fits files and format the data for
- The DCR Data Analysis window is used to plot
the filled data.
- The PGPlotter window is used to view and print
the plotted data.
Using the program
Here are the general steps needed to quickly load and view dcr data.
- In the GBT Filler Interface window, enter the
path to your data in the ProjectID entry line. This is usually
/home/gbtdata/projectId, where projectId is the
project name entered into the GBT Scan Coordinator.
- Then enter the beginning and ending scan numbers of interest, and
then click on the Fill button. Progress is
reported in the Filler Monitor area as each scan is
- When the previous step completes, move to the DCR Data
Analysis window. Click on the Get Data
button. It will dim, and then turn green when this step is
completed. Then click on one of the four buttons below Get Data,
depending on the DCR mode when the data was acquired. Again, the
button will dim and then turn green when this step is
- After the previous steps, a list of channel numbers should appear
in the Chan No. widget, indicating what data was
found. Click on a channel number to select it. Multiple channels
may be selected by holding the control key down while clicking with
the left mouse button. If multiple channels are selected, each
channel trace is offset from the previous by the value entered into
the Offset line.
- The plot buttons may now be used to display data in the PGPlotter
window. Only the buttons valid for the operative DCR mode are
The meat of the functionality is in the file
norm.g. Those familiar with glish programming can
perhaps find useful functions there, for example,
integrateFft(). These are available from the glish
command line after the fill, get data, and mode steps are
For example, one could enter:
to plot the FFT of channel 3 in green, integrated over scans 2 thru 7.
A utility is provided that allows the user to change the plot title string without
regenerating the plot. At the glish command line enter:
where title is any glish string. e.g. s.changetitle('Hello There').
Last Revised 04/16/2009
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org